In some circumstances, third parties including grandparents, step parents, foster parents, and others may have the right to request custody, parenting time or visitation with a child over the objection of the legal parent. Third parties can request varying levels of relief based on the nature of their relationship with the child, but must rebut the statutory presumption that the parent has acted in the child’s best interests, and prove that the requested relief is in the child’s best interest, before relief will be granted. Depending on the nature of the relationship between the third party and child, certain time limitations apply. See ORS 109.119.

For more information, contact us at 503-585-0157 or [email protected]. We offer *FREE one-half hour consultations, and would be happy to discuss your case and answer your initial questions.

NOTICE: The above summary is meant for informational purposes and is not intended to be legal advice. It is meant merely as a broad overview of the rules applicable to the majority of cases, and does not diminish the need to consult with a professional regarding your specific circumstances.